Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hwk 57

Part 1:
There are many different ways kids can be parented. There is no correct way out there that we all have to follow. I don’t think there should be a step by step guide either. All you need to show is love and responsibility towards your child. I think it comes naturally for someone to parent a child. I feel like the love builds up and so does the responsibility because you know that this child is yours and you have the first opportunity of ownership. While the child grows up, the parent becomes more and closer to their child and they start to get used to everything about them. This later on builds love towards the parents and their child. If there are no signs of love and responsibility between the parent/child relationship, then I think there would not be a stable parenthood. There has to be some form of love and responsibility for one to properly parent their child.

When I was younger my parents were not really educated much about parenting. Since my grandparents and the rest of our families were all back in Pakistan, my parents didn’t have much guidance. But I guess the best part of how my siblings and I were parented would probably have to do with us being so close and comfortable with each other. This caused us to become very close knit and we were able to grow up with each other by our side at all times. This is why I believe that my family is the closest thing I have to me, because no matter what they will always be there in both good and bad times. There weren’t many worst parts to how I was being parented; I guess the worst part would be that I wasn’t able to grow up with my extended family beside me at all times. I mean I have visited them a few times back in Pakistan, but other then that we lack some closeness.

Hmmmm, I don’t know really. That is not going to be happening anytime soon, but I am the oldest sibling. I guess that is the closest I can get to parenting at this time in my life. I am usually put in charge of them when my parents are away. Actually a couple of weeks ago I had to “parent” my siblings for three weeks while my parents were away. I guess looking back at that experience; I was a pretty okay “parent”. I wasn’t the best because I’m only a teenager and I have many more things to learn before I actually do become a parent one day; then again there are my own priorities as well. If I were to be put in a parenting position on the spot, I think I would survive but I still have many things I need to learn. I would probably have to refer to my parents and the rest of my family for help.

I think babies should be treated more like puppies instead of adults because they are only new to the world. We need to train them to become adults and this takes time. If we start to treat them like an adult right away, they will have no childhood memory. I think that all youngsters need to be trained into become an adult because they will have no experience at all about learning new things. If a baby is treated like an adult when they are born, they would not be considered as a baby. Even though they would look like a baby on the outside, in reality they would be an adult trapped inside a baby’s body; it just won’t make any sense at all.

Part 2:
I think that this idea of applying the technique of “Love and Logic” is absurd. When the child is open to any direction, and they are in charge of choosing what they want to do, they will become used to this idea. It may sound appealing at first, but later on the parent will regret this decision. The parent is the bigger figure and they need to be the ones that are controlling what their child is supposed to do. When a child is given choices, they will become used to this and try to turn the tables on the parent figure. This will then outsmart the parent. The mother that writes this regrets her decision of giving her kids choices all the times. Because by doing so, she made it harder on her own self and now the kids are only happy with their own way. By having the child make all decisions on their own, they will become more superior when compared to the parent.

The Ferber method is a technique created to solve infant sleeping problems. I agree at many points with this method. It takes slow steps for a baby to go to sleep on their own. I agree with the Ferber’s method because it helps the baby take tiny steps into individuality. They start to become more independent. Even though the child is reminded about their parent, they are becoming independent at the same time. As the baby becomes used to this process, he/she will slowly start to sleep on their own. This method works in my mind because it makes sense for something to go slow paced so that the individual can become used to it and keep it going at continuously. In this case the baby is used to their parent checking in on them at certain times in a night while they go to bed, but they are expected to sleep on their own. I don’t know how well this method works though. There are many babies out there that will cry throughout the whole night for their parent figure to come and take care of them, but I do like the idea of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment