Thursday, November 19, 2009

Hw 24 Short Story 1

She grabs her coffee and mutters a thank you. Walking out she can feel everybody’s eyes on her, she smoothes out her Burberry coat. While walking out the door with her head held high she has her assistant hail a cab. She checks her watch and sighs learning that she is already fifteen minutes late to school. Finally a cab decides to stop and she gets in, her assistant gives the driver directions to her school and in 10 minutes she has arrived in front of her school. She pays the cab driver “keep the change.” The assistant hurries up to open the door for Harmony. She reapplies her Lancôme lip-gloss and steps out of the cab; then walks in through the gate of the school. Walking calmly she enters the school, classes are in session, she is thirty minutes late. The principal gives her a strong stare, but she ignores him and keeps on walking.
Principal: “Mhmmmm, Harmony you are already thirty minutes late to your class, why don’t you spend the rest of the time you should have been in class in my office and tell me why you are so late.”
Harmony’s Assistant Responds: “She is sorry but she had to get her beauty sleep and I just could not disturb her.”
Principal: “Oh, I see. Well tell her that if she has another one of these beauty sleep lateness’s, she will be expelled, this is the last time I will be repeating this.”
Harmony: “Expel me now.”
Principal: “excuse me?”
Harmony: “Expel me now”
Principal: “I am afraid that I cannot do that until the next time you are late.”
Harmony: “Alright, I guess I will be expelled from this school tomorrow.”
Principal shakes his head and walks away to his office and Harmony walks calmly to class. The next day…
Assistant: “Miss, you are already ten minutes late to school, the cab ride will take another 10 if we get lucky.”
Harmony: “I don’t care, he is lucky that I am attending his school; I am the reason why the school’s name is all over the place. If it’s hurting anyone, it’s hurting him.”
Assistant: “True.”
Harmony gets expelled from her current school and when everyone finds out what happened they are very surprised and say that they would never do what she did because they would never have the guts to.

5 comments:

  1. Amber,
    Although your story was short, i think it clearly got your point across. You incorperated so much into so little, if that makes any sense. i like how you portrayed the "cool" girl as the girl who does not care what authority thinks of her. I have read several other people's short stories, but yours is the first one to focus on rebelling being cool. great job =)
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this, at first i thought this person was older but like how you depicted what "cool" is and showed how rebellion can be seen as cool. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber,

    I like how in the end everyone wanted to be like Harmony because in their minds she was seen as "cool". Her rebellion made her seem like she was cool because no one else had the guts to do what she did. She was seen as different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber- I was so shocked when I read your story; you referenced the preppy rich girl that I see in gossip girl. I had no clue people actually thought they were cool; I liked how honest you are in your story. I don’t talk to you in class so reading your story I gained a lot of insight about you. Your character seemed real as if she wasn’t trying to be “cool” but that it just was her lifestyle to be that way. I also liked how your cool person had a sidekick to help her in her everyday coolness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey amber,
    I liked your story, it was good (not short and not long) but the character didn’t sound cool to me because she was acting like she’s a big shit, like “expelled me now” she can just explane what happens with her or bring a note from family and they will go over it lol but not this way, not saying the story is bad, the story is great, good job keep it up.

    ReplyDelete